Included below is information regarding:
- Workshop Preparations
- Session Slidedecks & Write-Ups
Once we have created our planned agenda, we then think through all the tasks we need to complete to prepare for facilitating the session. Specifically, we:
- Put together a slidedeck to use during the session (more information below)
- Select which hands-on activities you want to use during the session, and add in the corresponding slides into your session slidedeck.
- More information about hands-on activities with data can be found at Introducing Tuva through Activities - diving in!.
- Activities grounded in thinking about how to integrate data and Tuva into your curriculum is another great way to incorporate hands-on opportunities for participants. Consider using resources like Tuva's Implementing Tuva Planning Document or the subject-specific Quick Start Guides (found along the righthand side of your Dashboard).
- Decide on what documents you want to share with participants, and how you will share them (i.e., in print vs electronically).
- Print any documents that the participants will need physical copies of during the session (e.g., Kick-Off Activity handout).
- Create a resource document and/or participants’ agenda as necessary to fully reflect your finalized agenda and plan for the workshop (more details below). Suggested resources are available at Tuva Resources to Share at a PD Session.
- If sharing resources electronically determine how you will share (i.e., via email or provided URL). If sharing via URL, consider creating short URLs that are easier to use while participating in a session.
- Read through the complete slidedeck and facilitation steps to practice the session ahead of time, exploring links and activities as appropriate to feel prepared to facilitate.
- Confirm specifics and logistics for the session to make sure you are prepared and arrive on time with enough time to set-up for the session.
- Breath, have fun, and enjoy geeking out around data!
Session Slidedecks & Write-Ups
We create our slidedeck for a session based off of piecing together the different sections as outlined in the session agenda. We adjust the depth and breadth of information within each section depending on the audience and timeframe of the session. We include our write-ups of how to facilitate a session in the Notes section of the google slides platform.
Here are sample slides for different sections of our sessions for you to use/adapt into a slide deck that works for your needs:
- Session Introduction (google slides with write-up for section)
- Data Literacy & Standards (google slides with write-up for section)
- Meet Tuva surround (google slides with write-up for section)
- Implementation Planning (google slides with write-up for section)
- Overview of Data Literacy / Teaching Science with Data (google slides with write-up for section)
- Session Wrap-up (google slides with write-up for section)
The other slides that we include in our session slidedecks are those from the hands-on activities that we integrate into the session. Copies of the slides and handouts for those activities can be found at Introducing Tuva through Activities - diving in!
If you are sharing your slidedeck or other materials ahead of time, or during your session, determine how they will be shared. If sharing electronically, it can be helpful to create a short URL for participants to use, rather than the actual long URL for resources. We have found including these on the slides when applicable aids in participants being successful in accessing the resources.
* As a note, these google files are set up as "View Only" but if you go to "File" you should have the option to "Make a copy", "Download as", or "Add to My Drive" (as shown below). If you have trouble accessing any file please email us at email@example.com.